"Grace Chapel is a diverse community united by the love of Christ and called to embody that love in our neighborhoods."
The scope of this position encompasses all aspects of Children and Family Ministry related to children until they transition to Youth Group.
Weekly Sunday Children’s Ministry: Program development, coordination and administration of the weekly children’s ministry. This includes Sunday School (His Kids) & Children and Worship. (40% or approximately 12 hours/week)
Family Ministry: Build relationships with parents and caregivers of children at Grace Chapel and encourage relationship development among families. Plan and host events for families. (20% or approximately 6 hours/week)
Volunteer Recruitment: Gather a team of volunteers for the various needs of children’s and family ministry. - Provide training, support, and supervision of volunteers (14% or approximately 4 hours/week)
Development of a Summer Program for Children’s Ministry: - Selection and management of a suitable summer program - Apply for funding for summer student positions and mentor, work with and supervise summer students (13% or approximately 4 hours/week)
Personal Development: Engage in regular study, reflection and prayer ( 13% or approximately 4 hours/ week)
Note: Breakdown of how weekly time is spent fluctuates during the natural flow of the year related to special events, summer programs etc.
1. Oversee all aspects of Children’s Ministry related to Sunday programs for children in Children and Worship (ages 3-5) and Grades 1-5.
2. Connect with & encourage children involved in Children’s Ministry.
3. Work with nursery coordinator and Pastor of Youth in the overall transitioning of children from Nursery to Children and Worship, to His Kids, and to Grade 6-8 Bible Study.
4. Discernment related to vision, planning, curriculum and discipleship.
5. Teaching the story of Jesus in a way that supports children in experiencing it in real and dynamic ways.
6. Recognition of the importance of sharing the responsibility of discipleship of children with their family.
7. Recruit, train & build a team of volunteers in Children and Family Ministry.
8. Work with Pastor of Youth in finding ways to involve and grow our youth as leaders as it relates to volunteering with our children.
9. Work with Pastor of Youth and equipped trainers to ensure that volunteers are trained in our Child Protection policy. Maintain up to date Criminal Background Checks on all volunteers.
10. Recruit, train and schedule hall monitors for Sunday mornings as part of our Child and Youth Protection Policy.
11. Discern how to best engage with our children during special times of year like Christmas & Easter. Work with the Pastoral Staff and the Leadership team to choose a vision for the program as it relates to our multigenerational, community and outreach dynamics.
Family Ministry : Develop relationships with parents or caregivers of children through a variety of means – individually or in group settings.
Endeavour to listen well in order to:
- be aware of needs and how the leadership can be praying for families
- discern ways to effectively engage families in the life of Grace Chapel
- discern special areas of interest ie. parenting courses, spiritual formation of our children, prayer etc.
-Plan regular Family Nights throughout the year and discern steps toward encouraging multigenerational, multi-cultural and community connections.
Outreach: Discern and seek out ways to bless and connect with our neighbourhood through events like Family nights, summer Day Camps and picnics.
Sunday Mornings: Work with the volunteer team to connect well with children and families in meaningful and Christ centered ways.
Meetings and Administrative: Attend bi-weekly Leadership Team Meetings, Pastoral Staff Meetings, and other relevant planning meetings. Complete applications for Student Summer Grants. Submit and maintain a yearly budget.
Summer Children’s Program: From May to August the usual breakdown of time shifts to the summer ministry focus. This includes the hiring and oversight of summer students, planning weekly Sunday programs and special summer kids camps.